Parents and carers are very welcome at our school and are invited to participate in school activities and attend assemblies and other school events.
In the classroom parents/carers can help with reading, writing, numeracy, arts and inquiry activities or by sharing a particular interest or expertise with staff and children. Workshops to help parents and volunteers who wish to assist with reading, writing and numeracy in classrooms are held throughout the year. We aim to have all volunteers who assist in our classrooms participate in the induction and information workshops to ensure a consistent approach in the support provided to children.
Assistance in the library, helping when we have special days, involvement with the P&C, the annual school fete, the garden working bees, nominating for the School Board, helping with sporting events and help with excursions are always welcome.
If you have a particular interest or expertise you are willing to share please register your details on our Expertise & Interest Register.
Working with vulnerable people and volunteering in the school
Any person who has contact with children in certain circumstances must register with the Office of Regulatory Services (ORS) and be issued a Working with Vulnerable People (WWVP) registration card. Volunteers who regularly work with children in classrooms and other school activities need to be registered (regularly is determined as more than seven times in a 12 month period). Further information can be found on the Directorate's website.
Every Volunteer at Turner School is required to complete a Volunteer Nomination form (pdf, 125kb) and Confidentiality Undertaking form (pdf, 92kb) available from the Condamine or David St offices and provide their Working with Vulnerable People registration card for sighting and copying by the front office staff.
All volunteers must sign the visitors book in the Condamine and David Street office OR the volunteer folder located in each classroom on every visit to the school. Please sign and note the time in the book. Collect a volunteer's badge to wear while in the school. When you leave the school please remember to sign out and return your badge. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need more information.
Parents/carers and families can help with:
- P&C meetings
- School Board
- Be part of the Preschool Committee and link to the School Board and/or P&C groups
- Volunteer as a Class Parent Contact
- Reading in the classrooms. Turner School runs a regular Reading Workshop for parents and carers throughout the year, giving some concrete ways of reading with children (either your own or in a classroom setting). All parents are strongly encouraged to attend these sessions before helping children to read in the classroom.
- Supporting writing workshops in the classroom or with word processing of student anthropologies or similar in your own time
- Art and craft in the classrooms
- In class helper – sharpening pencils, helping with class administration tasks etc
- Excursion support
- Teacher appreciation events, especially World Teachers' Day
- Library (covering books can be done from home)
- Book fair helpers
- Support in our specialist art rooms
- Supporting our music program
- Lost property
- Kitchen Garden
- Landscaping and working bee (watering on weekends, etc)
- Disco nights – help to oversee or on the drinks counter
- School sports events – athletics carnival, cross country, swimming carnival
- Annual festival support
- Special interests or talents you can share with the school
- Contributing extra finances to activities like school camp etc